It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: Firing of Joe Paterno
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:20 am 

I can't tell you how upset I am that JoPa has been fired as a result of the Sandusky scandal. I guess in hindsight maybe he should have perused the Sandusky situation further. That said I don't believe his whole life achievements should be forgotten over this issue. Joe has always put academics ahead of sports and he has given millions of dollars back to the college over the years. Jo is and always will be a class act in my eyes.
Joe’s firing is a result of the relentless head hunting by the news media. I would like to see the news media put as much effort into presenting Joe Paterno’s many contributions to Penn State and the whole of College Football as they have in vilifying him for the Sandusky scandal.
I am not upset that he is leaving his coaching position .It was time for him to retire. However he should have been allowed to retire at the end of the season with some dignity. Penn State owed him that much. It is not fair to him or his legacy to have this situation permanently tarnish his illustrious career.

Harry Becker
York New Salem, Pa

Post subject: Re: Firing of Joe Paterno
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 am 

The Board runs the school, they do the hiring and the firing, Paterno and Spanier work for them, not the other way around. The trustee's are in the public eye, and the public was waiting for them to decide which was more important to them, a long time, well respected football coach who momentarily failed to live up to his own standards and a long time president who had led the school with honor, or the young boys who were brutally molested by a former employee for 6 or 7 years because of the inaction and moral failure of the two aforementioned employees.
They chose the children, it was the correct decision.
This is simply two employees getting fired by the boss for failing to perform their duties according to the employer's ethical standards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:21 pm 

I don't agree with how Joe was notified and told he had been fired as head coach. With all the contributions he has made over the years including 60 years of his life, they could have at least called him to a meeting and told him to his face. In my opinion that phone call was a slap in the face.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:35 pm 

You're exactly right Eddie! And Seif, there are MANY more that knew BEFORE Joe did. In 2000 Sandusky was witnessed w/a boy in the shower. OH, and back in 2005, Corbett was on the board of trustees.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:52 pm 

Fast Eddie wrote:
I don't agree with how Joe was notified and told he had been fired as head coach. With all the contributions he has made over the years including 60 years of his life, they could have at least called him to a meeting and told him to his face. In my opinion that phone call was a slap in the face.

You got that one right, Eddie!!! Gotta love the show of NO brass ones by the Board and their taking the coward route. :evil: . "Needing" to be fired or not, only a coward would do it that way. Talk about integrity! The Board showed that THEY have NONE.

Right now, I'd purely love to see the entire team walk off the field in protest just seconds before kickoff on Saturday.

The cost in ticket refunds would be astronomical! And Deserved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:03 pm 

Will this impact the board's ability to investigate who else knew what was going on?

As ex-employees, the board no longer has any leverage over Spanier & Paterno.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:37 pm 

wait........stop the press. I have read the grand jury indictment. McQuery is the one who witnessed the "shower incident"...he went home and told his dad. They both then went and told JoePa....who REPORTED it to the AD and the Chief of the Campus police. Other than hiring his own private investigators...what more was Paterno SUPPOSED to do?? Shouldn't McQuery.....who actually WITNESSED the rape of this child have been the one to IMMEDIATELY notify law enforcement (after intervening and tyring to stop said rape?) He never heard of 9-1-1??? I am not a Penn State fan but actually am a believer in due process. geessshhhhhh........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 pm 

Well Dagney, you sure as hell would think so, wouldn't ya. But NO, the bashers put it ALL on Joe. But pussie 28-yo McQueary turned & walked away w/o taking ANY action to save the boy. He & his daddy didn't even tell Joe til THE NEXT DAY. THEN, a few weeks later, when Curley told McQueary they weren't doin anymore than taking his locker key, McQueary STILL did NOTHING. And Joe is the one FOCKD in the end?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:17 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:
Well Dagney, you sure as hell would think so, wouldn't ya. But NO, the bashers put it ALL on Joe. But pussie 28-yo McQueary turned & walked away w/o taking ANY action to save the boy. He & his daddy didn't even tell Joe til THE NEXT DAY. THEN, a few weeks later, when Curley told McQueary they weren't doin anymore than taking his locker key, McQueary STILL did NOTHING. And Joe is the one FOCKD in the end?

And right there is the problem: Joe is the Nationally known big name so he will be the one taking the real beating. 2 Chicken-sh*t Politicians have already weighed in with their withdrawal of support for Joe in an unrelated matter ( Try and get MY vote in the future!) and now, not to miss an opportunity, Bamey has stuck his worthless 2 cents in.
It will only get worse, while Joe, THE one cleared of any wrongdoing by the Attorney General, will take the brunt of it.

Makes me ASHAMED to be a Pennsylvanian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:08 pm 

I agree with what most of you are saying. But you have to remember that this decision was not made out of any sense of integrity or need to do what's right, etc. Their spokesman at the news conference as much as said that the only reason they let him go now was to make the feeding frenzy stop. They didn't want this nonsense going on until the end of the year (assuming the team gets to a bowl game--worst case scenario in their mindset.) Now they can tell the satellite trucks to pack it up and get out of town because there's nothing more to see.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:41 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:
OH, and back in 2005, Corbett was on the board of trustees.

And he is still on the Board of Trustees

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:
And Joe is the one FOCKD in the end?

No..All the children that were abused are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 am 

LocalGrown wrote:
You're exactly right Eddie! And Seif, there are MANY more that knew BEFORE Joe did. In 2000 Sandusky was witnessed w/a boy in the shower. OH, and back in 2005, Corbett was on the board of trustees.

None of which gives Paterno a pass.

Sorry, I know many people worship the guy and he's done a lot of good for the school, but he dropped the ball on this one, and it was a biggie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:31 am 

TheSeif wrote:
LocalGrown wrote:

None of which gives Paterno a pass.

Sorry, I know many people worship the guy and he's done a lot of good for the school, but he dropped the ball on this one, and it was a biggie.

Yes, he did. BUT there are MANY before him that dropped the ball FIRST. THAT should matter MORE.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:59 am 

I'm wondering if the University really understands how stupid they appear in the public eye right about now.

Oh, and one has to wonder if they truly do care about what happened to the children, or are they just trying to save face?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:06 am 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:40 pm 

u no wrote:
I'm wondering if the University really understands how stupid they appear in the public eye right about now.

Oh, and one has to wonder if they truly do care about what happened to the children, or are they just trying to save face?

They have no clue. They reacted as if this week was the first they knew about any of this. Hell, Corbett knew about it years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:32 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:
u no wrote:

They have no clue. They reacted as if this week was the first they knew about any of this. Hell, Corbett knew about it years ago.

Once again, play 'dumb' to save face.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:29 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:
u no wrote:

You would think, since they knew about the Grand Jury, they would have had some kind of response prepared for when the indictments came down. You're right. They were hardly blindsided by this

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:38 am 

u no wrote:

With all this info coming to light about who did what when, I am totally amazed at the Board's knee jerk reaction in firing Paterno, who admittedly had second hand info to the shower session, and the protection of McQueary, who had first hand info. And, as stated, it would have to be a totally ignorant Board of Trustees (Corbett included) to this point to have not made any effort to remove Sandusky from the presence of the young boys. It still sounds to me like there is more behind the words as to Paterno being fired.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:08 pm 

McQueery saw Sandusky sodomizing a young boy, and DIDN'T TRY TO STOP IT. For that, he should be forever ashamed (AND AFRAID) to show his face in public.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:13 pm 

Vic wrote:
McQueery saw Sandusky sodomizing a young boy, and DIDN'T TRY TO STOP IT. For that, he should be forever ashamed (AND AFRAID) to show his face in public.

I think that's what makes me the sickest about this whole thing. He's one of the lousiest excuses for a man or human being that I've seen in a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:16 pm 

Huh? wrote:
u no wrote:

With all this info coming to light about who did what when, I am totally amazed at the Board's knee jerk reaction in firing Paterno, who admittedly had second hand info to the shower session, and the protection of McQueary, who had first hand info. And, as stated, it would have to be a totally ignorant Board of Trustees (Corbett included) to this point to have not made any effort to remove Sandusky from the presence of the young boys. It still sounds to me like there is more behind the words as to Paterno being fired.

If McQuery(or however you spell it) would have been any decent man or human being, he'd have beat the living sh*t out of Sandusky right then and there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:04 am 

McQueary is a pussie plain & simply. He ran to his office & locked the door & called his daddy. What did he think was gonna happen, Sandusky was gonna rape him next?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:13 am 

munkeewrench wrote:
bfranklin wrote:
Will this impact the board's ability to investigate who else knew what was going on?

As ex-employees, the board no longer has any leverage over Spanier & Paterno.

I disagree........they can simply put out a subppoena and they are obligated to bear witness under oath......

They're not a legal entity. It's just a committee put together by the board of trustees. Supposedly it will be comprised of some trustees, faculty, students and a few people from outside the university.