It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: US Manufacturers Have Three Million Available Jobs To Fill
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm 

US Manufacturers Have Three Million Available Jobs To Fill
Mr.M 1 day ago 0General PreviousNext
If you’re one of the 23 million Americans currently out of work or underemployed then buck up. It might interest you to know that US manufacturers currently have 3 million job openings. And according to a report on “60 Minutes” last night, the only thing standing between you and a paycheck is a little thing called a “skills gap.”

According to Brian Pitts, the “60 Minutes” correspondent covering last night’s story, the idea that American manufacturers have all taken their jobs out of the country is an exaggeration. There are still plenty of manufacturing plants here in the states. Right now, Pitts says, there are more than 3 million job openings in the US, and as many as 500,000 of those jobs aren’t being filled because employers can’t find qualified workers.

Pitts took his “60 Minutes” show on the road to Nevada to visit with Karl Hutter, the new chief operating officer of Click Bond in Carson City. Nevada has the highest unemployment rate in the country. In 2010 the unemployment rate in Nevada shot up to 14.9 percent and it’s consistently stayed well above the national average. Yet there are thousands of job openings across the state.

Click Bond manufactures fasteners. Their largest customer is the Defense Department. They currently employ 325 people and they need to hire more. The challenge, says Hutter, is finding qualified people who can handle the computer controlled machines in their manufacturing facility. Employees need to be able to program the computers, operate the machines, fix the machines when they break down, and inspect the fasteners to make sure they’re up to spec.

According to Ryan Costella, head of Strategic Initiatives at Click Bond, there’s a skill gap at entry level positions.

“It’s those basic skill sets. Show up on time, you know, read, write, do math, problem solve. I can’t tell you how many people even coming out of higher ed with degrees who can’t put a sentence together without a major grammatical error. It’s a problem. If you can’t do the resume properly to get the job, you can’t come work for us. We’re in the business of making fasteners that hold systems together that protect people in the air when they’re flying. We’re in the business of perfection.”While Costella says Click Bond has done everything they can to find qualified workers, he never talks about what they actually do. Do they simply hang a “Help Wanted” sign in the window or do they actually hold job fairs to let the community know what they’re looking for and what they have to offer?

And Hutter leads you to believe that the problem is a lack of education and drive, that people looking for a job today can’t read or write, can’t do math or solve problems. “We can’t find enough students who are interested in pursuing these trades. Because it seems hard? I don’t know. Because it seems like you have to do math? I don’t know.”

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

Post subject: Re: US Manufacturers Have Three Million Available Jobs To Fi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:58 pm 

Because they're lazy good for nothings, that's why. If they might break a bead of sweat, they aren't interested. I see posts on FB by high school students & not only is the spelling atrocious, they use words where they don't belong. My brain says "WTF are you trying to say?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 am 

I blame our schools. They have become a complete joke. Teachers are too concerned about a kid's self-esteem to tell him that his writing sucks and he will fail a grade if he doesn't start working harder. And he needs to be failed if he can't do it.
With all this emphasis on self-esteem, kids today certainly don't seem to be very confident in themselves. Just listen to them talk. They can't even make a declarative statement, they have to say "it was, like......"or "I was, like....."or "he was, like....."
And every time they say something, they have to say it as if it's a question.
"I was walking down the road? And I saw this like big truck? And he like swerved to miss this dog?"
You have to nod your understanding at the end of each sentence or they can't go on. I've stopped nodding for them. I just look at them with my head stock-still and they don't know what to do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am 

Vic wrote:
I blame our schools. They have become a complete joke. Teachers are too concerned about a kid's self-esteem to tell him that his writing sucks and he will fail a grade if he doesn't start working harder. And he needs to be failed if he can't do it.
With all this emphasis on self-esteem, kids today certainly don't seem to be very confident in themselves. Just listen to them talk. They can't even make a declarative statement, they have to say "it was, like......"or "I was, like....."or "he was, like....."
"I was walking down the road? And I saw this like big truck? And he like swerved to miss this dog?"
You have to nod your understanding at the end of each sentence or they can't go on. I've stopped nodding for them. I just look at them with my head stock-still and they don't know what to do.

Well if public schools waste too much time on math, science, history, reading and writing there won't be enough hours in the day for the important subjects like global warming and gay studies. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am 

Vic wrote:

LOL, Vic. That is funny and so true.

Like it made me chuckle?........why...are you looking at me like that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 am 

Vic wrote:

Vic you should go on the road, your a class act, but true.

A Pessimist is an Optimist with Experience