It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: Residents speak out against proposed Chipotle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 am 

HERSHEY, Pa. (WHTM) -
Some people in Hershey maintain there's no place for a fast food restaurant in their historic downtown area.

Chipotle wants to move onto Chocolate Avenue, but many don't think it's a good fit. Those on both sides of the issue had the chance to weigh in at a meeting last night.

"Pretty much against it," resident Kevin Feldenzer said. "I would pretty much like to preserve the downtown area for what it is. Traffic is already horrendous. I work for the Hershey Company and I understand how it is to go two blocks from one end of town to the other."

Chipotle's representative said their product is not fast food, but "fast casual." They said the restaurants that usually follow them into communities include Starbucks and Panera Bread, not Taco Bell and McDonald's.

No decision was made at Wednesday's meeting.

I am sick and tired of hearing the residents of Hershey crying every time somebody wants to open something, close something, build something, demolish something, or move something, even when it's the Hershey Company that wants to do it.

Post subject: Re: Residents speak out against proposed Chipotle
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 pm 

If you stand and order your food at a counter, pay for it and then go to a table and eat it as opposed to sitting down at a table and ordering from a waiter, it's fast food. They seem to do it "Subway style" based on this from their Wiki page:

Chipotle has been sued for failure to obey the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as a customer who used a wheelchair was unable to see the food preparation, denying him the "Chipotle Experience". :lol: :lol: The case against the company was upheld in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals (aka the Ninth Circus), and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear Chipotle's appeal, leaving the 9th's Circuit ruling intact. Chipotle has, "an official disability policy of bringing ingredients to the tables of diners with disabilities and doing tableside preparation." The plaintiff in the case has a history of filing ADA-related lawsuits, and has sued over 20 restaurants. Chipotle is retrofitting restaurants affected by the ruling, and incorporating the new design into new restaurants. (Unbelievable! :lol: )

Neato Burrito opened a place in Lancaster about two years ago and I like it a lot. If Chipotle opened a store closer to me I would definitely give them a try since they can't seem to catch a break from bedwetters. The Wiki article also said that they are getting flak from the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW), a Floridian farmworker organization, who since 2006 protested Chipotle’s refusal to sign a "Fair Food agreement", which would commit the restaurant chain to pay a penny-per-pound premium on its Florida tomatoes to boost tomato harvesters’ wages, and to only buy Florida tomatoes from growers who comply with the "Fair Food Code of Conduct". They caved in 2012. :lol: This country is doomed. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:46 pm 

I wonder why there was not as much opposition to sending the corporation production to mexico or is this the reason this mexican restaurant is not wanted in hershey.I think hershey should not be allowed in Pennsylvania because of its historic traditions of not treating people as human beings.Put a fence around this metropolis and charge admission and parking fees.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:29 pm 

Ummm...but it's the perfect compliment to Mexican made chocolate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 pm 

Dugl wrote:
Ummm...but it's the perfect compliment to Mexican made chocolate
This site needs a 'LIKE' button.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 pm 

PublicByProxy wrote:
This site needs a 'LIKE' button.

I KNOW! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:00 pm 

All the crap thats goiing down in this country and this is what the get riled up about??? If thats the biggest problem they can see ~~ I wish them a Mac Donalds on the square they deserve it.

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:44 pm 

I think Hershey should tear down the old original factory and sell the property to Walmart so they can build a Superstore there.