It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: Gun control and gun rights advocates rally at the Capitol
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm 

Gun control versus gun rights. Outspoken individuals on both sides braved cold temperatures to participate in a heated debate at the State Capitol.

Armed with signs, a few dozen pro-gun supporters lined the front steps of the Capitol Wednesday morning. Many with PA Responsible Citizens were bundled from head-to-toe in camouflage and Carhartt as many stood in 15-degree weather to fight for Second Amendment Rights.

State Representative Jeff Pyle (R-Indiana County) led the rally. Pyle stood at the podium and called lawmaker's actions to ban ‘assault weapons' unconstitutional. He further stated that blaming inanimate objects for violence was nonsense.

"If we're going to do that, why haven't we banned driving? It kills 10 times more people ever year than guns do," said Pyle. "Why have we not outlawed the sale of ladders? Because, more people die by a factor of four, then are killed by guns."

2011 is the latest national crime report by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. According to those statistics, there were more than 32,000 shooting deaths. Of those deaths, about 8,500 were homicides. Little more than 350 of those homicides involved using a "rifle".

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported 32,000 fatal accidents in 2011. The same year, the World Health Organization reported about 350 deaths resulted from falling off a ladder.

Pyle's main argument against banning assault weapons is the right to bear arms for protecting one's safety and personal property.

"Do you want to be the one that's lesser armed than yourself? I just feel that's a bad way to think," said Pyle.

Wade Reall made the trip from Shippensburg. Holding an "I own an AK" sign, Reall agreed with Pyle's statements.

"Millions of people use guns to defend their lives of themselves and families every year in this country," said Reall. "The media does not show those actions taking place."

Referring to the same 2011 FBI Crime Report, private citizens accounted for 260 incidents of justifiable homicide in the United States. 201 of those incidents involved firearms including 153 handguns, 12 rifles, and 10 shotguns.

Around noon, Cease Fire PA held an anti-gun rally inside the East Rotunda. Members with the group were bused to Harrisburg from Philadelphia. State Senator Daylin Leach (D-Montgomery) had a rebuttal for the protection argument.

"We're not saying you can't have guns…you just can't have a gun with a 100-bullet drum," said Leach. "You can't own a gun that has a 30 magazine clip or that you can shoot 1,100 rounds per minutes. That is not an infringement on the second amendment, the second amendment has nothing to do with this discussion."

A few pro-gun advocates attended the event and held up signs. Harrisburg and York recently were listed on the nation's ‘top 100 violent cities'. Respective mayors Linda Thompson and Kim Bracey voiced strong message in favor of gun reform.

"We are tired of the bloodshed in our communities," shouted Bracey. Thompson responded to a sign in the crowd that read, "Gun control is a false hope".

"It is not a false hope when you think that when mayors ban together that you are more powerful than us, and you are not," Thompson emphasized.

Both mayors are members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group that has urged President Barack Obama to ban assault weapons shortly after the Shady Hook shooting in Newtown, Ct.

Anyone attending both rallies could see a clear divide. However, anyone attending both rallies could see there is room for common ground. Both sides cried for a deeper look into mental health issues and an impact on violent media. Both sides also took time to reflect with prayer

Here we go again
Jeff Pyle stood up there and said all that stuff
But he supported Mr. Romney even though Mitch "DID" ban assault weapons

The Husband & I hold hands as we walk home in the darkness
We know our path
We know who the machine is
We hear the sounds
We are headed home

Post subject: Re: Gun control and gun rights advocates rally at the Capito
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 pm 

Vic wrote:

Thats the bat I just picked up at Dicks Sporting Goods. Its new and should last a long time

We know our path
We hear the sounds
We are headed home

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 pm 

Dancer wrote:
Vic wrote:

Thats the bat I just picked up at Dicks Sporting Goods. Its new and should last a long time

Do you make your own baseballs out of the poor horse's hide?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:35 am 

Dancer wrote:
Gun control versus gun rights. Outspoken individuals on both sides braved cold temperatures to participate in a heated debate at the State Capitol.

Armed with signs, a few dozen pro-gun supporters lined the front steps of the Capitol Wednesday morning. Many with PA Responsible Citizens were bundled from head-to-toe in camouflage and Carhartt as many stood in 15-degree weather to fight for Second Amendment Rights.

State Representative Jeff Pyle (R-Indiana County) led the rally. Pyle stood at the podium and called lawmaker's actions to ban ‘assault weapons' unconstitutional. He further stated that blaming inanimate objects for violence was nonsense.

"If we're going to do that, why haven't we banned driving? It kills 10 times more people ever year than guns do," said Pyle. "Why have we not outlawed the sale of ladders? Because, more people die by a factor of four, then are killed by guns."

2011 is the latest national crime report by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. According to those statistics, there were more than 32,000 shooting deaths. Of those deaths, about 8,500 were homicides. Little more than 350 of those homicides involved using a "rifle".

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reported 32,000 fatal accidents in 2011. The same year, the World Health Organization reported about 350 deaths resulted from falling off a ladder.

Pyle's main argument against banning assault weapons is the right to bear arms for protecting one's safety and personal property.

"Do you want to be the one that's lesser armed than yourself? I just feel that's a bad way to think," said Pyle.

Wade Reall made the trip from Shippensburg. Holding an "I own an AK" sign, Reall agreed with Pyle's statements.

"Millions of people use guns to defend their lives of themselves and families every year in this country," said Reall. "The media does not show those actions taking place."

Referring to the same 2011 FBI Crime Report, private citizens accounted for 260 incidents of justifiable homicide in the United States. 201 of those incidents involved firearms including 153 handguns, 12 rifles, and 10 shotguns.

Around noon, Cease Fire PA held an anti-gun rally inside the East Rotunda. Members with the group were bused to Harrisburg from Philadelphia. State Senator Daylin Leach (D-Montgomery) had a rebuttal for the protection argument.

"We're not saying you can't have guns…you just can't have a gun with a 100-bullet drum," said Leach. "You can't own a gun that has a 30 magazine clip or that you can shoot 1,100 rounds per minutes. That is not an infringement on the second amendment, the second amendment has nothing to do with this discussion."

A few pro-gun advocates attended the event and held up signs. Harrisburg and York recently were listed on the nation's ‘top 100 violent cities'. Respective mayors Linda Thompson and Kim Bracey voiced strong message in favor of gun reform.

"We are tired of the bloodshed in our communities," shouted Bracey. Thompson responded to a sign in the crowd that read, "Gun control is a false hope".

"It is not a false hope when you think that when mayors ban together that you are more powerful than us, and you are not," Thompson emphasized.

Both mayors are members of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group that has urged President Barack Obama to ban assault weapons shortly after the Shady Hook shooting in Newtown, Ct.

Anyone attending both rallies could see a clear divide. However, anyone attending both rallies could see there is room for common ground. Both sides cried for a deeper look into mental health issues and an impact on violent media. Both sides also took time to reflect with prayer

Here we go again

THIS SHOULD BE THE FOCUS. Guns, ball bats, knives, ropes, etc, are what is used. Take away, control, or whatever term you want to use, these weapons, and something else will be found. I am also wary of anyone who tries to tell me "we aren't taking away, just controlling".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 am 

Dancer wrote:

Here we go again

Yes but by the time he was running for the presidency his opinion on 'Assault Weapons' had "Evolved"........ :o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:43 pm 

I love how the sista mayas are screaming into the mic they wants the bloodshed in the streets to end. Really? How just HOW MUCH of that bloodshed is by criminals with ILLEGALLY obtained guns? Give us the stats! Give us EXACTLY how much of that bloodshed was by someone like ME! How is restricting MY LEGALLY LICENSED access gonna stop THOSE people? Please tell me!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm 

Truth is, LG, they can't!! It is easier for gun control advocates to spout generalities, and hope they make sense. When somone calls them on their logic, look how they skirt their thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:19 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:
I love how the sista mayas are screaming into the mic they wants the bloodshed in the streets to end. Really? How just HOW MUCH of that bloodshed is by criminals with ILLEGALLY obtained guns? Give us the stats! Give us EXACTLY how much of that bloodshed was by someone like ME! How is restricting MY LEGALLY LICENSED access gonna stop THOSE people? Please tell me!

Simple LG, the blood shed will stop in the streets and end up in everyones LIVING ROOM. Is that a good answer.

A Pessimist is an Optimist with Experience

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:03 pm 

Dancer wrote:
Outspoken individuals on both sides braved cold temperatures to participate in a heated debate at the State Capitol.

I'd like to correct you on your use of the homonym "capitol". The word ending in "ol" refers to the building while "al" refers to the city. Since you used it correctly, I presume you thought it was the other way around. Just letting you know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:37 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:

~~ the stats out there in Virgina since 2006 the gun #s increased 73% and violent crime went down 24% in the same period,kinda dispells the myth mor3e gun equals more crime . The other side just pulls figures and keeps throwing then against the wall untill something sticks ,if ya tell a lie often enough it becomes the truth.Is their motto.

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm 

I know NP, but I want them to tell me how much of that bloodshed is related to criminals w/illegal guns (which would be the fault of law enforcement) & how much is related to lawful citizens with scary guns.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:27 pm 

TheSeif wrote:
Yes but by the time he was running for the presidency his opinion on 'Assault Weapons' had "Evolved"........ :o

and the same for his pathetic claim on the repeal of "Obama Care" even though he made Romney care

We know our path
We hear the sounds
We are headed home

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 pm 

Rudey wrote:
I'd like to correct you on your use of the homonym "capitol". The word ending in "ol" refers to the building while "al" refers to the city. Since you used it correctly, I presume you thought it was the other way around. Just letting you know.

Lack of words as usual...Vic does the same thing..."The Ole Grammar Police Post"

We know our path
We hear the sounds
We are headed home

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 pm 

Dancer wrote:
Rudey wrote:

Lack of words as usual...Vic does the same thing..."The Ole Grammar Police Post"

You obviously think it's spelled "grammer".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 am 

Isn't is funny, how when Dancer is cornered on issues, she picks a small item, such as "grammar police" to evade the issue?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:11 pm 

Huh? wrote:
Isn't is funny, how when Dancer is cornered on issues, she picks a small item, such as "grammar police" to evade the issue?

Yes, I noticed that long ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 pm 

jadiff wrote:
Huh? wrote:

Yes, I noticed that long ago.

Dancer knew what I was saying. Everyone who has been on this board for any length of time knows he consistently and purposely reverses homonyms such as there/their, your/you're, etc. It's part of his schtick. I noted he used the correct word in this case and was yanking his chain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 pm 

Rudey wrote:
and was yanking his chain.

Thats Why I am here now...You cant let it go..As well as others

We know our path
We hear the sounds
We are headed home