It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: Weeping Pistorius faces life in prison in shooting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:05 pm 

South Africa (AP) - Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius wept in court Friday as prosecutors said they'll pursue a charge of premeditated murder against him in the killing of his model girlfriend, meaning the man who once inspired the world could spend the rest of his life in prison.

Pistorius' family and London-based management issued a statement disputing the murder charge he now faces for the slaying of Reeva Steenkamp. The athlete himself initially appeared solemn and collected in his first court appearance, but later sobbed loud enough for his cries to be heard over the more than 100 spectators gathered for the hearing.

His tears even drew the attention of Chief Magistrate Desmond Nasir, who at one point simply said: "Take it easy."

The double-amputee athlete's arrest stunned South Africa, which awoke the morning of Valentine's Day to hear that Steenkamp had been shot to death at Pistorius' home in a gated community in an eastern suburb of South Africa's capital, Pretoria. Police said investigators recovered a 9 mm pistol from the home.

In Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Friday, throngs of photographers, videographers and journalists besieged the brick-walled Courtroom C, where Pistorius appeared. Nasir's first ruling in the matter focused on the press: He dismissed requests from a private television station and the state broadcaster to air the hearing live.

Nasir also ordered that no photographs be taken while court was in session. That left kneeling photographers less than a meter (three feet) from Pistorius to simply stare at a man some previously photographed sprinting on his famous carbon-fiber blades as he cried uncontrollably. Pistorius' brother, Carl, and his father, Henke, reached out at separate times to comfort him as he sat in the dock.

Prosecutor Gerrie Nel said in court he would pursue a charge of premeditated murder against Pistorius for allegedly killing Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model known for her vamping, bikini pictures in men's magazines and appearances in cosmetics commercials. Police have said Steenkamp is 30. The discrepancy has not been explained.

Police said Friday that investigators conducted an autopsy on Steenkamp's body. Lt. Col. Katlego Mogale said the results of the autopsy would not be published.

Pistorius entered no plea at the hearing and his family left quickly, without speaking to journalists who followed them outside. In a statement later Friday, his family and management questioned the criminal charge the 26-year-old athlete faces.

"The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms," the statement read, without elaborating.

The statement also said Pistorius wanted to "send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva."

We cheered him on at the olympics...Now we feel ashamed

Post subject: Re: Weeping Pistorius faces life in prison in shooting
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:38 pm 

Why do you feel ashamed? We don't know the whole story yet, just a bunch of media hype,you'll have plenty of time do diss him later

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 pm 

Hang him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 am 

Newspolice wrote:
Why do you feel ashamed? We don't know the whole story yet, just a bunch of media hype,you'll have plenty of time do diss him later

Absolutely,

He has only been charged. No evidence is known, but just being arrested is enough for so many to proclaim his guilt without a single piece of evidence to show what happened.

I especially enjoy the irony of those who want govt off their own back, but fully support a declaration of guilt when the govt arrests or impedes on someone else.

The only reason to feel ashamed I can tell is at the public display of one's own ignorance or failure to support the rights and due process of the accused.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:00 pm 

bfranklin wrote:
He has only been charged. No evidence is known, but just being arrested is enough for so many to proclaim his guilt without a single piece of evidence to show what happened.

This is basically the argument that you used with Jerry Sandusky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:25 pm 

bfranklin wrote:
No evidence is known

Except for the bloody bat, the bullets, the bullet cartidges, the pistol, and the holster.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:16 pm 

Dancer wrote:
bfranklin wrote:

It is the argument I use for all people who are charged but have not yet had a trial.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 pm 

bfranklin wrote:
It is the argument I use for all people who are charged but have not yet had a trial.

You will be...1-1 or 0-2...Time will only tell (we think it will be the 2nd statistic)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:32 pm 

bfranklin wrote:
Dancer wrote:
bfranklin wrote:

I just love how people decide on a person's guilt or innocence based on what the media has reported. Sort of bypassing a persons right to a trial by their peers. Oops, another of ones rights guaranteed bypassed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:37 pm 

Huh? wrote:
I just love how people decide on a person's guilt or innocence based on what the media has reported. Sort of bypassing a persons right to a trial by their peers. Oops, another of ones rights guaranteed bypassed.

How many rights have been bypassed in South Africa? I haven't been paying attention to that. And I believe your record will soon be 0-1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 pm 

bfranklin wrote:
Dancer wrote:
Vic wrote:
And I believe your record will soon be 0-1.
As polar opposite as you two( Dancer/Vic) claim to be, the more you stay the same. Whatever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'? And you call yourselves Americans.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:19 pm 

PublicByProxy wrote:
As polar opposite as you two( Dancer/Vic) claim to be, the more you stay the same. Whatever happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'? And you call yourselves Americans.

Well, when he's proven guilty, you and others should admit that we were right all along. And by the way, what about our freedom of speech? And you call yourself an American?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:34 pm 

Vic wrote:
Well, when he's proven guilty, you and others should admit that we were right all along. And by the way, what about our freedom of speech? And you call yourself an American?
AGAIN, you miss the point. This isn't a contest to prove who WAS right. It is a Process afforded by the Bill of Rights(I realize this incident happened in South Africa). I never infrigned on your freedom of speech and can't wait for Dancers reply.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 am 

PublicByProxy wrote:
I never infrigned on your freedom of speech

Of course not. You can't. Nobody can.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 am 

PublicByProxy wrote:

They do have a unquestionable belief in their own infallibility and a strong desire to force others to act according to their wishes - which itself is anathema to a belief in freedom.

They differ on what that proper behavior should be, but one of them is consistent in their behaviors.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:10 pm 

bfranklin wrote:
They do have a unquestionable belief in their own infallibility and a strong desire to force others to act according to their wishes - which itself is anathema to a belief in freedom.

A perfect description of only one poster - yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am 

It certainly looks bad for guy and by the information we have been given, it looks like he killed her and acknowledges that fact. However, give the guy time to defend himself before you hang him. Maybe he did mistake her for an intruder. Although not likely IMO, given his supposed past temper and other incidentals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:08 pm 

?? got a question they reported mandatory life if convicted~~ then in the same report said he could be paroled after 25 yrs??? so looks like mandatory life means mandatory 25 yrs. to life

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:04 pm 

Vic wrote:
bfranklin wrote:

A perfect description of only one poster - yourself.

I realize from your response you don't understand my post. I can explain it to you if needed or I can pull up your past posts if you like.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 pm 

I think you're trying to change the subject, bfranklin. I guess you don't want to talk about the Pistorius case anymore, since you said this:
bfranklin wrote:
No evidence is known

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:33 pm 

Further evidence. I wash my hands. It's a shame Dancer couldn't chime in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm 

PublicByProxy wrote:

Vic wrote:

PublicByProxy wrote:
AGAIN, you miss the point. This isn't a contest to prove who WAS right. It is a Process afforded by the Bill of Rights(I realize this incident happened in South Africa). I never infrigned on your freedom of speech and can't wait for Dancers reply.

ByProxy, We said we are ashamed and did not submit a thought of punishment like Vic. As for the Bill Of Rights..When you can show/post that "innocent until proven guilty" is worded that way in the Constitution we will acknowledge/accept your claim

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 pm 

Maybe bfranklin can show us?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 pm 

Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments. See also Coffin v. United States and In re Winship.
I've become computer savvy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:16 pm 

PublicByProxy wrote:
Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th, and 14th amendments.

If presumptions are acceptable ,Then mine of Oscar Pistorius should be too