It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: Walmart Strike
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:16 am 

Walmart may go the way of Hostess. But at least all the Walmart haters would be happy.

Post subject: Union Fail: Walmart Reports Record Sales
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:21 pm 

Union Fail: Walmart Reports Record Sales
by Ben Shapiro 23 Nov 2012, 10:10 AM PDT (breitbart.com)

Despite union efforts to target retailers like Walmart, businesses are reporting record Black Friday traffic – the biggest sign yet that the unions are out of touch with the American people. Starting at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving, Walmart put its products on Black Friday sale, sparking a run to the stores and earning the stores record sales.

They’ve already sold nearly 2 million towels, 1.3 million televisions, and 250,000 bicycles. According to Walmart Chief Executive Bill Simon, over 1.3 million Walmart staffers are on duty. There have been picket lines around the country, but the movement has been far less effective than expected.

No big surprise. The union is lucky. In past years people have died trying to interfere with Black Friday shoppers. So far no reported union fatalities. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Walmart Strike
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:39 pm 

The unioins represent apporx. 6% of the work force and with the WalMart protests and the deal at LAX messing up peoples air travel for the holidays ,they sure aren't making any new friends. Too power hungrey to realize it I guess.

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:29 am 

People aren't stupid, they know that if the unions get into Walmart it will no longer be the place to get cheap stuff.
IMHO stocking shelves and running a cash register was never meant to be a life long career, it's mostly part time anyway. If you want a decent paying job you need get an education, learn a trade, etc., you've got to work at it a little.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:38 am 

TheSeif wrote:
People aren't stupid, they know that if the unions get into Walmart it will no longer be the place to get cheap stuff.
IMHO stocking shelves and running a cash register was never meant to be a life long career, it's mostly part time anyway. If you want a decent paying job you need get an education, learn a trade, etc., you've got to work at it a little.

Walmart's position on help seems to be that of short-term workers: No longevity pay, pension benefits, etc. The only way they keep down prices is not buying American. I notice much of the goods in Walmart are made in China. This is a great example of an American Idea being sent abroad for the highest dollar. Sam Walton must be turning over in his grave.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:00 pm 

There was a day when being a cashier paid well, but that was when you had to key the prices in to the register. Now you just scan an item. No need to pay well for that. Especially since some stores let you do it yourself now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:13 pm 

LocalGrown wrote:
Now you just scan an item. No need to pay well for that. Especially since some stores let you do it yourself now.

Whenever someone in a store (like Giant) asks me if I would like to use the self-checkout I always tell them, "no thanks, that's you're job."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 am 

Huh? wrote:
TheSeif wrote:

Walmart's position on help seems to be that of short-term workers: No longevity pay, pension benefits, etc. The only way they keep down prices is not buying American. I notice much of the goods in Walmart are made in China. This is a great example of an American Idea being sent abroad for the highest dollar. Sam Walton must be turning over in his grave.

It's not just Walmart, look around, Sears, K-Mart, Target, Boscov's, etc., The vast majority of their products are made in foreign countries. I try to buy 'American' but I'd have to do without a lot of stuff if I stuck to it strictly. There are millions of items that simply just are not made in the USA anymore. People don't want quality built stuff anymore because they aren't willing to pay for it, they'd rather throw it away and replace it, which of course costs us more in the long run. I truly believe that over the years the manufacturers steered us in that direction to make more money.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:52 pm 

TheSeif wrote:
People don't want quality built stuff anymore because they aren't willing to pay for it, they'd rather throw it away and replace it, which of course costs us more in the long run. I truly believe that over the years the manufacturers steered us in that direction to make more money.

Sort of. One of the things that stands out as a "better built in China" item is the specialized collectable. By that, I'm referring to ( In my interest) 1/24th scale cars & trucks sold by Danbury & Franklin Mints. Have any of you ever examined them?? The quality and attention to detail is miles beyond anything EVER made in the USA ( Danbury is a little better than Franklin), and that is very sad.
And then you throw in the price: Roughly $129.00-$149.00 each. Sounds like a lot until you examine them and realize that if the same were made in the USA, it would be MINIMUM $1000 each and the quality would still NOT be quite as good.

And THAT is even sadder :(

But then there is the fact that NEITHER ( as well as West Coast, who has now gone belly-up) are offering anything new. Why? Seems the trustworthy Chinese found some holes in the contracts and have "stolen" the molds and the rights to use them, from these American Companies. I guess the sales of these collectables were just a little TOO good and the Chinese wanted more for themselves?

Last edited by piedmont on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:21 pm 

"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below."

Gee, I wonder who's trying to log in as "Vic"? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 am 

Sort of. One of the things that stands out as a "better built in China" item is the specialized collectable. By that, I'm referring to ( In my interest) 1/24th scale cars & trucks sold by Danbury & Franklin Mints. Have any of you ever examined them?? The quality and attention to detail is miles beyond anything EVER made in the USA ( Danbury is a little better than Franklin), and that is very sad.
And then you throw in the price: Roughly $129.00-$149.00 each. Sounds like a lot until you examine them and realize that if the same were made in the USA, it would be MINIMUM $1000 each and the quality would still NOT be quite as good.

But then there is the fact that NEITHER ( as well as West Coast, who has now gone belly-up) are offering anything new. Why? Seems the trustworthy Chinese found some holes in the contracts and have "stolen" the molds and the rights to use them, from these American Companies. I guess the sales of these collectables were just a little TOO good and the Chinese wanted more for themselves?[/quote]

I agree there is some quality stuff made in China, but not much.
I wouldn't handle those models too much, they most likely contain lead .... :o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:03 am 

piedmont wrote:
TheSeif wrote:
People don't want quality built stuff anymore because they aren't willing to pay for it, they'd rather throw it away and replace it, which of course costs us more in the long run. I truly believe that over the years the manufacturers steered us in that direction to make more money.

But then there is the fact that NEITHER ( as well as West Coast, who has now gone belly-up) are offering anything new. Why? Seems the trustworthy Chinese found some holes in the contracts and have "stolen" the molds and the rights to use them, from these American Companies. I guess the sales of these collectables were just a little TOO good and the Chinese wanted more for themselves?

Yeah right

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:17 am 

(the specialized collectable. By that, I'm referring to 1/24th scale cars & trucks sold by Danbury & Franklin Mints) .............................................................................................~~ Danbury & Franklin Mints specialized collectables?? They make a zillion of those cars and plates and knives, they are collectable in the minds of those collecting them. Kinda like the Beany Babies ~~~~~ I have some Urtl Truck collectables ,and they were restricted to a limited # One I have in 1 of only 750 ~~ Thats the stuff to buy to collect , Danbury & Franklin might say limited run ,but read the finer print. Very rare you'll see a set number .

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:58 am 

Vic wrote:
"You exceeded the maximum allowed number of login attempts. In addition to your username and password you now also have to enter the confirm code from the image you see below."

sounds like something our old friend "dip" would have done.....and she is stilllll lurking around.....she even checked up on you after the election... 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:44 pm 

Don't really think it was meant to be a living wage. At least not for people with a family. For kids up to their 20's, maybe. If you want to earn more, do more to earn it. And that includes looking for a job that pays better. Provided you have the gumption to bother. Trouble is, too many do not.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:03 pm 

Dagney wrote:
Vic wrote:

sounds like something our old friend "dip" would have done.....and she is stilllll lurking around.....she even checked up on you after the election... 8-)

My thoughts exactly. Luckily, I had a password that was indecipherable - it was "talkback" (since changed).
I told her a long time ago that it's a good thing she doesn't try to make a living as a detective. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 am 

Vic wrote:
Dagney wrote:
Vic wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Luckily, I had a password that was indecipherable - it was "talkback" (since changed).
I told her a long time ago that it's a good thing she doesn't try to make a living as a detective. :lol: :lol: :lol:

8-)