It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: Re: More Places NOT to spend my money
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:47 pm 

People wake Dog in the fight or not ,once they start don't think all bolt actions won't be call sniper rifles in a few yrs and they'll go after them next . ARs are not assualt weapons any more than your bolt action Deer rifles a sniper rifle .

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:35 pm 

tenringx wrote:
Hey HUH, I think the M14 was a 308 round, our sister Company had the 308 and we had the 30-06 in the M1. They pitted the 2 Companies at each other on Qualifying to see which was better, They beat us by less then 10 points, but our best shooter scored higher then theirs.

No tenringx, I'm SURE the M-14 rifle IS a 30.06 (AKA as the 7.62 Nato round)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 pm 

Did some quick research. The 7.62 nato round is NOT the same as a 308, however, it also is not a 30.06. Long story short, the heavier 30 caliber rounds do travel further. The lighter .223 won't travel as far, but do possess the short range shocking power needed to "down" and enemy charging you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:12 pm 

According to Wikipedia there are several different 7.62mm cartridges.
The 30.06 was 7.62x63mm, no civilian (decimal) equivalent as the cartridge was developed just for the military and adopted later for civilian use, by that time it had taken on the simple moniker of 'the aught six'. That particular cartridge evolved several times from 06 up into the late 30's.
The M14 was 7.62x51mm which is the same as the .308 Winchester.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:43 am 

Huh? wrote:
Did some quick research. The 7.62 nato round is NOT the same as a 308, however, it also is not a 30.06. Long story short, the heavier 30 caliber rounds do travel further. The lighter .223 won't travel as far, but do possess the short range shocking power needed to "down" and enemy charging you.

~~~~ It's the same in as much as the 5.56 is the .223. { Although not identical, the 7.62×51mm NATO and the commercial .308 Winchester cartridges are similar, and even though the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) considers it safe (by not listing it) to fire the NATO round in weapons chambered for the commercial round, there is significant discussion[by whom?] about compatible chamber and muzzle pressures between the two cartridges based on powder loads and wall thicknesses on the military vs. commercial rounds. The debate goes both ways, the ATF recommends checking the stamping on the barrel; if you're unsure, consult the maker of the firearm} ~~ you will find the same info on the 5.56 /.223 chambered in the ARs . Most mfgrs are tested for presures for the 5.56 and are so stamped , .223 ammo is used as often as not in them

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:30 pm 

.308 Win and 7.62x51 cartridges are the same outside but different inside, thats why reloading manuals suggest a few grains less powder in the 7.62 cases, due that the smaller inside dimensions of the case build pressure differently. Also when reloading 7.62 cases .308 Win dies are used. Try to find dies for 7.62 x51. The big difference is in the chamber of the 7.62 rifle, as it is bigger to allow for a real combat situation, dirt, mud, sand. Less of a chance for jamming. Cases are thicker in the base and primer area and the sides because combat rifles are not nice to cases, and have been known to rip a .308 Win case in half upon ejection. When I was looking for a rifle I got the 7.62 because it should be able to chamber and fire anything I could find to feed into it and that has proved to be 100%. Have to be careful with primers though that seems to be a sensitive area with slam fires and out of battery firing. Thanks all for the info I know who I will be avoiding from here on in as far as purchasing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:32 pm 

Sorry I don't know what happened I got a double post?? :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:14 pm 

AFEW$MORE wrote:
Sorry I don't know what happened I got a double post?? :oops:

It happens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 pm 

While I certainly enjoy shopping at sporting goods stores, I won't stop shopping there because of a harried management decision on guns. I am NOT politically correct & never will be. I do not carry a gun, personally I believe violence begets violence, BUT I believe others should have that option & stand by my beliefs! I also believe they should have a thorough background check done. A background check should not take days, it should be done on spot as it is computerized. I love to fish and play baseball, so I will still shop their. The gun didn't jump out and shoot the children, the NUT carrying the gun shot them, he needed help, not the gun! Just my thought.