It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: Christie Blames GOP, Boehner For Politicizing Sandy Aid
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:33 pm 

Quote:
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Following a barrage of attacks from both sides of the aisle, Republican House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) assured Tri-State lawmakers that a vote on the full $60.4 billion superstorm Sandy aid bill will come in less than two weeks.

Earlier, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie didn’t hold back when calling out fellow Republicans in the continued fight to secure more federal aid for the victims of Sandy.

“There’s only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims — the House majority and their speaker John Boehner,” Christie said.

Christie, upset by how many days it has taken for lawmakers in Washington to act, called the decision by GOP leadership to end its term without approving the $60.4 billion bill “disappointing and disgusting to watch.”

Governor Christie, I have two quotes for you.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents."
-- James Madison

"[It is not the purpose nor right of Congress]
to attend to what generosity and humanity require,
but to what the Constitution and their duty require."
- William Branch Giles

Post subject: Re: Christie Blames GOP, Boehner For Politicizing Sandy Aid
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:08 pm 

I agree with President Madison and Senator Giles. Why is it my problem as a taxpayer? That's what insurance is for. It's also why my homeowners insurance is with a small company in Maryland that only underwrites policies in Maryland, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. If you're with a company like State Farm or Nationwide you will be paying for Sandy too when it's time to renew your policy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 pm 

Chris Christie is a victim of Hurricane Sandy. That storm did something terrible to his brain. He completey ignores the fact that the Sandy bill is stuffed full of pork.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 pm 

He sucked up to obama just b/4 the election and thought he would get spl attention. remmeber how Bush was beaten by the media for month after katrina ,don't hear much busting on the bammy boy do ya

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:11 am 

This mess shows us what happens when the Government steps in and "tries" to help. Instead of the Government letting the insurance companies decide how much to charge for flood insurance, they picked a number and decided it was enough. Now we get a big event and the Government either has not taken in enough from insurance premiums or has spent the money on other things. Maybe if the Government went back to doing the job of Governing and let the insurance companies do the job of insuring, those that choose to live in an area that may flood would either pay the proper amount for flood insurance and be properly reimbursed, or choose to take their chances and know they will have to rebuild out of their own pocket without my tax dollars unding it. Years ago people built vacation homes in areas that may flood keeping their primary residence in a more safe location. Now idiots buy or build their primary homes in these area and expect to be taken care of when they lose everything.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 pm 

I am no genius, but i pay for my insurance faithfully, whether I can afford to or not, it is PAID! When an emergency happens, I know I will need a deductible to pay ($1,000) and the rest is covered. What happened in NJ and NY that they do not have this? If they are in a flood zone, they should have flood insurance like anyone else would, right? Tell me why taxpayer dollars should be used because of others negligence? Does not the town also carry adequate insurance to cover the roads and infrastructure? If not, then they need to be fined AND made to get it. Folks are already taxed out of their pants as it is, and I like to keep my pants on till I wanna take em off honestly! I feel for them but my wallet is all but dry as far as donations except for donations to my bank account to get by in life! I do not make $250 or $500k per year, leave me ALONE! Maybe Obama or Boehner can donate some of their wealth, I do not have it to give...