It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome to Talkback 27!
This is your forum to comment on current affairs and news stories.
The comments you make here may be used on our television newscasts.
If you wish, you may also leave your thoughts on our telephone feedback line.
That number is (717) 265-8527.

Post subject: HOME DEFENSE WEAPON
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 pm 

Watched the Rifleman this morning. I like the Winchester he had, me thinks it is a Winchester Model 1892. Looks like it would be great for Home Defense Weapon. Hmmm, I have a tig welder!
Think the Gubment will put it on the list?

Post subject: Re: HOME DEFENSE WEAPON
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:16 pm 

GO FOR IT!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 pm 

Henry Repeating Arms still makes them, the large lever loop is option on some models and standard on the Mare's Leg.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 am 

Back in the day when the Rifleman came on TV, a lot of guys were having their Marlins and Winchesters altered with the big loop.

A Pessimist is an Optimist with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 am 

Another feature of the rifle was a screw pin attached to the large loop lever which was positioned so as to trip the trigger when the ring was slammed home, thus allowing Lucas to rapid-fire the rifle, similarly to a semi-automatic pistol. The trigger trip screw pin was also used in two configurations. Sometimes Chuck had the screw head turned inside close to the trigger. Most of the times he had it on the outside of the trigger guard with a lock nut on the outside to further secure its position. In some of the episodes the screw was taken out completely when rapid fire action was not needed. When properly adjusted, this screw “squeezed” the trigger when the lever was fully closed. I may also add that it is important that the breech bolt on the rifle is fully closed at the precise time that the pin screw trips the trigger. The timing of the rifle action being in sync with the trigger trip is very critical to perform the rapid-firing of a Rifleman’s rifle. In other words the set screw installed through the trigger guard part of the lever must be installed and be adjusted to strike the trip of the trigger at exactly the right time-provided of course, that the action is adjusted properly to work under this kind of triggering. So configured, the lever action carbine functioned as a “slip hammer” gun, as there was no need to squeeze the trigger to fire the shot. Accordingly, Chuck Connors, as Lucas McCain could rapid fire the modified Winchester 92 S.R.C. as fast as he was able to manipulate the big loop lever. The athletic Chuck Connors practiced until he was a master at rapid-fire with either hand with his unique fast firing Rifleman’s rifle. Of course Chuck could also back the screw a few turns out of the trigger guard and the special rifle functioned normally. If one attempts to operate a lever action rifle at maximum speed without this rapid-fire modification, there’s a danger of serious injury should the trigger finger get in the way of the tip of the trigger as the lever is slammed shut. According to gun coach Rod Redwing, Chuck Connors practiced until he could rapid-fire his Rifleman’s rifle without the device.

for the rest of how it was done and a little history on Chuck Conners http://www.riflemansrifle.com/the_riflemans_rifle.htm ~~More info and video http://www.northforkproduction.com/theriflemanchuckconnors/

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm 

Newspolice wrote:
Another feature of the rifle was a screw pin attached to the large loop lever which was positioned so as to trip the trigger when the ring was slammed home, thus allowing Lucas to rapid-fire the rifle, similarly to a semi-automatic pistol. The trigger trip screw pin was also used in two configurations. Sometimes Chuck had the screw head turned inside close to the trigger. Most of the times he had it on the outside of the trigger guard with a lock nut on the outside to further secure its position. In some of the episodes the screw was taken out completely when rapid fire action was not needed. When properly adjusted, this screw “squeezed” the trigger when the lever was fully closed. I may also add that it is important that the breech bolt on the rifle is fully closed at the precise time that the pin screw trips the trigger. The timing of the rifle action being in sync with the trigger trip is very critical to perform the rapid-firing of a Rifleman’s rifle. In other words the set screw installed through the trigger guard part of the lever must be installed and be adjusted to strike the trip of the trigger at exactly the right time-provided of course, that the action is adjusted properly to work under this kind of triggering. So configured, the lever action carbine functioned as a “slip hammer” gun, as there was no need to squeeze the trigger to fire the shot. Accordingly, Chuck Connors, as Lucas McCain could rapid fire the modified Winchester 92 S.R.C. as fast as he was able to manipulate the big loop lever. The athletic Chuck Connors practiced until he was a master at rapid-fire with either hand with his unique fast firing Rifleman’s rifle. Of course Chuck could also back the screw a few turns out of the trigger guard and the special rifle functioned normally. If one attempts to operate a lever action rifle at maximum speed without this rapid-fire modification, there’s a danger of serious injury should the trigger finger get in the way of the tip of the trigger as the lever is slammed shut. According to gun coach Rod Redwing, Chuck Connors practiced until he could rapid-fire his Rifleman’s rifle without the device.

for the rest of how it was done and a little history on Chuck Conners http://www.riflemansrifle.com/the_riflemans_rifle.htm ~~More info and video http://www.northforkproduction.com/theriflemanchuckconnors/

Just looked up your sights, very interesting

A Pessimist is an Optimist with Experience

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 pm 

Wouldn't be too hard of a modification ,you just would have to get the timing correct

"AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."- ~~ Norman Vincent Peale-______ ~~ COPS ARRIVE IN TIME TO DRAW CHALK LINES , ~~~IT'S UP TO YOU TO SEE THE OUTLINE ISN'T AROUND YOU ~~.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm 

We are considering a moat and drawbridge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:39 pm 

I like your posts, I simply have a rifle and it is under double locks. The people who have commented here are sane & I pray you would not turn mad one day and murder your spouses or friends. Ya know, it always happens but no one complains. This entire debate is bizarre, as folks like you should not be affected but your grand kids may not be as stable as you and they could use these items on you as you sleep one night. Their is no right or wrong on the debate as WHO knows who will lose their marbles tomorrow or today and open up on their loved ones because they are Pi**ed Off because they didn't get their own way which they are used to? This gun thing is mind boggling to say the least. I kept my gun but put a 3rd lock on the cabinet. Protect yourself, buy another lock! BTW, I never have had to use my weapon, but I would rip off the gun cabinet door if need be to save my family!
My real concern now is altho we protect ourselves, people who are angry with us can just go underground and buy the assualt weapons and use them on us. We already have our AK's and the likes but if someone don't say NO, everyone will have them, so ours will be worthless. THINK about that, respectfully...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 am 

furbud wrote:
your grand kids may not be as stable as you and they could use these items on you as you sleep one night.

Do you actually sit around and worry about stuff like that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:43 pm 

furbud wrote:
I like your posts, I simply have a rifle and it is under double locks. The people who have commented here are sane & I pray you would not turn mad one day and murder your spouses or friends. Ya know, it always happens but no one complains. This entire debate is bizarre, as folks like you should not be affected but your grand kids may not be as stable as you and they could use these items on you as you sleep one night. Their is no right or wrong on the debate as WHO knows who will lose their marbles tomorrow or today and open up on their loved ones because they are Pi**ed Off because they didn't get their own way which they are used to? This gun thing is mind boggling to say the least. I kept my gun but put a 3rd lock on the cabinet. Protect yourself, buy another lock! BTW, I never have had to use my weapon, but I would rip off the gun cabinet door if need be to save my family!
My real concern now is altho we protect ourselves, people who are angry with us can just go underground and buy the assualt weapons and use them on us. We already have our AK's and the likes but if someone don't say NO, everyone will have them, so ours will be worthless. THINK about that, respectfully...

So your answer is to ban certain firearms so that only the criminals will have them ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:15 pm 

Vic wrote:
furbud wrote:
your grand kids may not be as stable as you and they could use these items on you as you sleep one night.

Do you actually sit around and worry about stuff like that?

Myself, NO. My kids are independent and don't live off me. But MANY people should, its a given fact!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 am 

furbud wrote:

~~~Now respectfully think about what you posted "We already have our AK's and the likes but if someone don't say NO, everyone will have them, so ours will be worthless. THINK about that, respectfully.." ~~Laws that say no ,only say no to those who will obey them. in reality that means the criminals don't give a rats arse what we outlaw. The truth is gun crime has been steadly doing down in this country all while the numbers of owned guns has quadrupled, and the number of states with concealed carry has risen. Yes keep your guns under lock ,cabnets don't stop anyone . Ya need a decent safe. But also remmeber to keep at least one loaded and handy. when 3-4 crazys kick in your door ."excuse me I have to unlock my safe " isn't gonna cut it. If more laws worked we wouldn't be fighting the Drug War for 40+ yrs . Thats working real well. The largest part of gun deaths in the country are related to the drug related/ street crime. When they say such and such a number of children died from gun deaths "children" is all 18 and under and includes all the gangbangers popping ea other off in the streets. Makes good print for the anti side but is not a real assement. Like that girl in Chicago that got hit , she was one,one innocent ~~ In Jan this yr Chicago had over 40 killed, gangbanger druggies in gun restricted city. The sad fact is the cities with the highest homicide rates are always cities with restrictive gun laws run by anti gun democrats. And they never see the writing on the walls ,just keep doing it same thing over and over.If laws worked we'd be drug free and crime free,think about it. criminals DO NOT OBEY LAWS out law certain guns they will be supplied to the st gangs by the same peolpe that supply the illegal drugs, that by the way, (the Drugs) in case you forgot are also illegal, like against the laws.I know I repeated myself , thats because so many have such a hard time understanding this simple fact. keep your power dry ,your head down and your doors locked.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 am 

Newspolice wrote:
furbud wrote:

~~~Now respectfully think about what you posted "We already have our AK's and the likes but if someone don't say NO, everyone will have them, so ours will be worthless. THINK about that, respectfully.." ~~Laws that say no ,only say no to those who will obey them. in reality that means the criminals don't give a rats arse what we outlaw. The truth is gun crime has been steadly doing down in this country all while the numbers of owned guns has quadrupled, and the number of states with concealed carry has risen. Yes keep your guns under lock ,cabnets don't stop anyone . Ya need a decent safe. But also remmeber to keep at least one loaded and handy. when 3-4 crazys kick in your door ."excuse me I have to unlock my safe " isn't gonna cut it. If more laws worked we wouldn't be fighting the Drug War for 40+ yrs . Thats working real well. The largest part of gun deaths in the country are related to the drug related/ street crime. When they say such and such a number of children died from gun deaths "children" is all 18 and under and includes all the gangbangers popping ea other off in the streets. Makes good print for the anti side but is not a real assement. Like that girl in Chicago that got hit , she was one,one innocent ~~ In Jan this yr Chicago had over 40 killed, gangbanger druggies in gun restricted city. The sad fact is the cities with the highest homicide rates are always cities with restrictive gun laws run by anti gun democrats. And they never see the writing on the walls ,just keep doing it same thing over and over.If laws worked we'd be drug free and crime free,think about it. criminals DO NOT OBEY LAWS out law certain guns they will be supplied to the st gangs by the same peolpe that supply the illegal drugs, that by the way, (the Drugs) in case you forgot are also illegal, like against the laws.I know I repeated myself , thats because so many have such a hard time understanding this simple fact. keep your power dry ,your head down and your doors locked.

Well stated NP. I have never really heard a response from an anti gun person regarding why the gun violence is so high in cities with restrictive gun laws. It really seems like common sense that criminals will not follow these restrictive laws, only law abiding citizens will.

Perhaps Dancer or Furbud would like to address that?

As a side note, when the kids were still in the house every gun I had was under lock and key unless it was on my hip. These days I have one locked and loaded next to the bed, in the kitchen and usually on my person. I live in a good neighborhood, but I really feel like times are getting tougher on all of us and people are getting desperate. I'm really getting nervous about what may happen in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:16 pm 

I have been contemplating a weapon using electricity. There is no better defense than 300,000 volts. You don't even have to register it.
Hope they don't monitor the buying of capacitors. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 pm 

We are also thinking about installing a Self-destruct mechanism
If any enter ,We leave after hitting the button

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:28 pm 

jadiff wrote:
Newspolice wrote:
furbud wrote:

Well stated NP. I have never really heard a response from an anti gun person regarding why the gun violence is so high in cities with restrictive gun laws. It really seems like common sense that criminals will not follow these restrictive laws, only law abiding citizens will.

Perhaps Dancer or Furbud would like to address that?

As a side note, when the kids were still in the house every gun I had was under lock and key unless it was on my hip. These days I have one locked and loaded next to the bed, in the kitchen and usually on my person. I live in a good neighborhood, but I really feel like times are getting tougher on all of us and people are getting desperate. I'm really getting nervous about what may happen in the future.

~~Yea I live in a Good neighborhood too . or so it used to be as the elderly pass the land lords buy up the properties and your neighbors change ever few months and you never know whats next.~~plus the mobility of today makes the neigborhood maybe more of an draw. they have been robbing upper class neighborhood, nothing worth robbing but dope in the hood. the real fact is ,you never know when or where something can happen. Stick to the Boy Scouts Motto , before they change it.